The age of wellness brands and well-being
Whether your a CPG brand marketer, personal care or beauty marketer, leisure marketer or healthcare marketer, your sweet spot is increasingly someone who wants to feel better, look better and play better, and a brand that fulfills these aspirations and goals. It’s the age of wellness brands.
It’s a growing market fueled by consumers of all ages on the lookout for products and services that promote healthier lifestyles and a better quality of life. And it’s demand spans all demographic segments and cuts across all sectors of the marketplace.
Case in point, consider the boundary-pushing get well, feel well and live well benefits of these exemplary cross-category wellness brands.
1. Nike+Fuelband (single universal way to track your active life)
2. Philosophy (products that inspire you to live a better life)
3. Nestle Healthy Living (nutrition, health & wellness)
4. Zumba (spreading fitness and happiness across the world)
5. Nature Valley (from natural ingredients to encouraging getting out and enjoying nature)
6. Intercontinental’s Even Hotels Brand (delivering health and fitness to wellness-minded travelers)
7. Zico Coconut Water (get the oomph you need, naturally)
8. Lululemon (cultivating an athletica community)
9. Walgreens (reinventing the pharmacy by being at the corner of happy & healthy)
Implications for Brand Marketing
- Seize the day. People are fired up about living better and healthier lives. Make your brand more relevant by inspiring and supporting them in their quest to do so.
- To do #1, you need to re-think your purpose. Re-focus your brand story. Re-work your value proposition and brand positioning statement. Re-energize your customers and you’ll re-energize your business.
- Understand what fuels your different audiences. Their attitudes, motivations and behaviors vary by age. Young people are into fitness, competitive sports and weight loss (but not into eating as healthy). Parents and beginning boomers are into health, with activities focused around social and recreational activities. Middle boomers, with more “me-time” on their hands, engage in activities around health, recreational sports and increased attention to diet. Older boomers activities revolve around health and leisure.
- Look beyond your current marketplace borders. See the world from the vantage point of your customers and their changing, needs, aspirations and preferences. Consider new partnerships and platforms that allow you to create new and greater value and help consumers to become more active participants in improving their health and quality of life. With who? What Action? Where?
- It’s the little things. Which together, can add up to big gains. And they’re easier to put into practice. So think in simple ways. How can you help people to reach their health and wellness goals by saving them time, making it easy, making it fun, making it a shared experience. How do you raise your brand marketing game to be all about your consumers.
The brands that help people to reach their full potential – to get well, feel well and live well – will be the wellness brands that will win their hearts, minds and loyalty. Where do consumers place your brand in their interconnected world of health, wellness and leisure?
Since 1999, our integrated brand consultancy / marketing agency has worked with clients across the health and wellness continuum to provide solutions that drive the growth trajectory of brand and business. Reach out for a no-obligation consultation.